Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Your Camera Doesn't Matter



A couple of weeks ago this kid broke my camera (Canon Powershot G6) which I paid a lot of money for when it first came out. I was contemplating whether I should buy another one or have it fixed, finally I decided to take it to Ritz Camera for repair where they quoted me $185.00 plus tax. This alone would be a good excuse for me to buy a new one with more features and megapixels by adding a little more money, then I thought why not try to fix it myself afterall it's already broken and I did just that suprisingly, after three long hours for it was my first time taking apart a camera.


One of my friends has a more expensive and better camera than I do but I feel that my camera takes better pictures. Some say that photographers make photo, not cameras and not to blame anything lacking photo on your equipement, I totally agree with them now because I'm convinced that just about any camera, regardless of how good or bad it is, can be used to create outstanding photographs for Myspace, Facebook, winning photo contests , family albums and magazine covers. The quality of a lens or camera has almost nothing do with the quality of images it can be used to produce.


So instead of complaining please spend more time learning learning how to manipulate and interpret light, background and such, for people back in the days did not have 16 megapixel cameras, photoshop nor GPS to coordinate photo locations. You probably already have all the equipment you need, if you'd just learn to make the best of it. Better gear will not make you any better photos, since the gear can't make you a better photographer. That's why I'm sticking with my Powershot G6 for now.

No comments: